Friday, February 5, 2010

Getting closer

Today was an exciting day. Dates are set: Febr 16-March 23. Selfish dates: leaving after Val's day to go with a good trauma surgeon friend to Haiti - and being back in time for Tjitske's fundraiser for her 'kids'. All needed, all right, and all just. On the other hand: the Daddy won't be there because he'll be skiing with his buddies in Colorado... OK: you tell her. I don't have the guts.
All is taking shape, and rapidly. Today I thought it might be fun to have a Soup For Soup luncheon in Honesdale. Figured out a recipe (Hatian Veg Soup,, duh), fund a church who would host it - for free - and met with the local paper's writer man before noon to put an article + pix in the paper. Me and pix. Right. Funny, funny man. Then I met with a great group of students at Keystone College at 1pm, each representing a group they are 'in charge of'. Most are groups that are service oriented. It was great to hear different people's ideas and hopes. many more people who know about OneBigBoost, and many who think it is great.
Next Fri we'll serve rice, soup, bread and water for lunch for $7/each. Hope &7 is not too high. More importantly: after this blog I have to compose a letter aka guilt-trip talking the local food stores/chains into donating beef, (they're rather short on goat, I heard), tuber-type vegetables and rice. That should not come out of our kitty for Haiti.
Bought a TON more bowls at dollar stores, as well as sippy cups,little bowls, small and large spoons.
If any of you want to contribute: I need GOOD quality potato/veg peelers, about 6 or more, small pairing knives (GOOD ones!), a few big chopper knives and BIG ladles. (Yo-de-daddle-whoo) I will leave all behind and please let's not hand out $%@(#*. Their life already is. Make it last. One is better than four! We hope to make soup (and rice) for at least 300 people to start. We need to work fast and well each morning. And always more: small hand towels, baby receiving blankets and the newborn baby hats, individual soaps. Always ANY kind of med supplies. Someone gave tons of thermometer! Carl said that these are so important to see whether people with wounds have fevers. That was a great gift! We need TOP bedsheets. New or used. We're trying to buy screen tents, and by adding sheets to the tops outsides, we will have VERY cheap tents that do not give passes to mosquitos and allow families some privacy. Without a huge cost.
Gosh - I just love you all. You have no idea. And if you already gave stuff to wherever: don't be afraid to ask friends, neighbors you never speak to, grumpy has station attendants...you'd be surprised how people react. I just encountered that 4x today! Go. Ask. It's not for you--it really is ok! AC Moore gave me t shirts 5/$10, and 20% off all that was on sale. The shirt, 11, are for the women who will serve the soup in Haiti. Easy to identify.

Yes: I am excited. And Yes: we will make A DIFFERENCE!!! You should see my kitchen! Filled with bags with stuff (meds and personal items) Bethany Moser, aka whatever, sent with her friends, neighbors...sometimes it brings me to tears. I will try to send short updates, maybe even with pictures, whenever I can from St Marc. So be sure that I have your email address. You're good people. I think my son Sander (I really hope so) will come with me. He also speaks some Kreyol and knows the people we will be with. Life is good in dark times.

No comments: